Monday, October 26, 2009

When I Grow Up....

I frequently think that thought: "When I grow up I want to be ...."  I haven't yet figured that out to be honest.  I have two college degrees, both of which I don't use in my present job. While I enjoy the work I do, hmmmm, I loathe my boss thus making it an uncomfortable situation. Most days I can just ignore him and do my work and put 100% or more into it.  Other days, like today, I just do the minimum to get by.

This weekend, while visiting friends, I was told "You should be a wife, mother, and a teacher."  Hmmm, well, I am none of those. Do they  know something I don't? 

The friend who told me I should be a wife and mother is a very dear, close friend.  We've known each other for twenty years now!  Wow!  That's a very long time!  We know everything about each other. She said that seeing me with my niece and how we interacted, she just knows I would be a great mother.  I'm glad she thinks so. I'm not sure.  I'm good with kids in a short span of time, but I do like to give them back!!!  :)  And as for the wife comment, I'm not sure what she bases that on.  Maybe it is just part of the package of being a mother. But in order to be a wife and mother, well, there needs to be a man.  Hmmm, the jury is still out on that one.  I'm not sure that I want a man in my life.  Yes, yes, yes.  I know.  I just haven't met the right one.  As my sister once said, "I think Mr. Right got hit by a bus!"

The friend who told me I should be a teacher has also known me for a long time also.  Let's see.  We've known each other for....eleven or twelve years. I can't remember exactly when I met her. I know it was before she got married in 1998. Anyway, she tells me I should get my certification because she could see me teaching high school.  I personally think she was smoking something when she said that!  I am such an impatient person.  Plus my communication skills to explain things to people are not that good.  Very rarely can I "think outside the box" to explain something to someone who has never been introduced to a topic.

What do these friends see that I don't?  Am I blind to my own possibilities in life?  Probably so.  I don't like change and I don't like getting hurt. But I am learning not to sweat the small stuff and to roll with the punches.  Life is much better that way. Maybe when I am least expecting it, Mr. Right will walk through the door.  And if not, maybe I will become that teacher.  Or find some other new exciting career.

Until that time when any of those things come true or not, I will ponder: When I grow up, I want to be......

2 comments:

Carolyn NC said...

Other people may see things in us that we don't, but ultimately you have to want to work that job. Doesn't matter if you're good at it or not then. Good luck!

CindyMae said...

I agree with Carolyn, other people often see things that we don't see in ourselves. Ultimately, you are the one that has to be happy though!! Even though you might be a great mom and wife, that don't mean that would make you happy!! You might make the best teacher ever, but that don't mean it will make you happy!! You have to do what makes you happy and that is that!! Just my 2 cents worth!